Pages

Tuesday 17 June 2014

Memoir Of A Monsoon

The following is a note that was originally written sitting in the research scholars room at EGRL, Tirunelveli on a rainy day in 2012. Rain was a rare phenomenon there, it happened only 10-20 days in a year. But Vittalapuram village is very beautiful when it rains! The grey surface turns into lush green. Rabbits, peacocks, snakes and a hundred varieties of birds, both local and migratory, looks delightful. Numerous ponds both in and around the campus fills with fresh water. But for the rest of the year, there was only hot bright sunlight and dust and in some months additional strong winds. When the monsoon starts again this year, I am sitting in the portico of research scholars hostel at IIG, Navi Mumbai. I am reposting the post from my previous blog which I don't update now a days.

It was not only because of its musical voice that I lost myself completely in the magic of monsoon rain. If it were so, I would have just listened to the rain sitting inside my room happily. The sharp wet touch of rain on my bare skin and its gently piercing sound for me is something of an emotional feel rather than a meteorological phenomenon. I forget about tides, convection, gravity waves and doppler radars when the rain feather touch my heart.

Oh, another monsoon came and soaked my country in its water pebbles. When I miss it, sitting in a dry remote village, far away in Tamil Nadu, what else can I do other than recollecting the memories of my past romance with it?

I loved and still love rain as well as its season. Monsoon, The most beautiful and romantic season my country is blessed with! If you fall in love with rain, it gives you the love back always and forever; more greenish more deep and more intense!

The notorious stream - road parallels!
It was during a monsoon, I still remember, I was hit by a lorry in the muddy country road going side by side with a big stream of fresh water. After playing football with my friends in the nearby water filled paddy fields, we all were going to the stream for a bathe. Suddenly I met the accident.

I still remember, the labourers in the lorry jumped out and took me to a hospital in the same lorry. I was in the general ward in the top most floor of Koya's Hospital roofed with asbestos. Heavy rain knocked over the asbestos sheets the whole night as if she needed to hit me hard. I badly wanted to meet her in the dark shade of the night; but I could not even wake up from my bed.

The day when I came out discharged from the hospital, I saw my rain was starting showering as if she is welcoming me back! I waved my hands to her sitting in the porch. I watched her sitting in the dashing car. She called me crying, knocking and touching over the window glass. But I could not go out to embrace her. I tried to touch her on the glass from inside. We desperately thirsted for each other, but circumstance did not allow us to unite.

Football in rain still attracts people in Kerala. But everyone
must not be lucky enough to have a country road nearby
and meet a lorry accident to feel the love of rain peacefully.
Every experience of love is filled pain. But try loving the rain, it is different! Once you are in love with her, you will never want to miss her! The more you are away from her, the more passionately you love her! She will love you back with all the forms of emotions and  expressions a lover can have! What ever you think that you will get from a lover, she will give you. Solace, comfort, touch, pain, care, parting, melancholy, romance, relief; you tell what are all the things you think you will get from your lover. You will get them all from the rain.

The car reached home. Rain was silent. The shower was over. Like blood dissolved tears of rain, muddy water was flowing below the car. Sitting inside the clouds, rain desperately tried to tell me something. Before she can utter anything, my Umma took me into my home. In ultimate pain, rain stormed down all the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment